The Chronicles of Natoma

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Traditions

Tomorrow morning I'm heading back home to Texas to partake in one of my favorite family traditions...the Thanksgiving bonfire. I know, "how down home bumpkin of you Nick". This is an old and very fun tradition my family has had since I was a young lad. My grandparents used to own a large ranch north of Dallas which they'd use as a rural get away from the city (Dallas). The night before Thanksgiving they would have the entire family and close family friends gather at the ranch where they had spent months building a bonfire. We'd all show up and there would be a huge treasure hunt across the 160+ acres of property in which the winning team always walked away with some awesome prize. Afterwards we'd have dinner and would head out into a clearing in the woods to torch the bonfire. I've always had fond memories of these events but they ended up selling the ranch when I was about 15. Bummer.

After I went away to college my mom and step-father decided they wanted to get out of Austin and built a ranch about 40 minutes outside the city. Of course they brought back the tradition of the bonfire but with a twist. My parents know how to party. Aside from our entire family attending we generally have 75 to 100 of our close friends as well. Here are some pictures of the bonfire last year. Jake and I built it.




You may notice Miss Coco Merlot in that picture (second from the right)


This is the path we light to show guests the way out to the bonfire.



I'll post some picture of this years bonfire when I have some time. Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger DanNation said...

Nick - have a GREAT Thanksgiving. We'll take good care of Jake...

6:19 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Ahh, nothing says Thanksgiving like a large fire. Happy Thanksgiving.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Snotty said...

this is my hey it's me, here's my blog link shout out

Scott

12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home