The Chronicles of Natoma

Monday, November 27, 2006

Some Americans need a swift kick in the pants

Since the birth of our nation, freedom of speech has been walking a meandering line between a "God given right" and an elusive concept. The beginning of this millennium has arguably ushered in a profound degradation of this right we hold so dear and I fear that many Americans are losing sight of this basic and necessary gift.

As disgusted as I was when the hate slinging followers of Fred Phelps decided to hold anti-homosexual protests at the funerals of fallen American service men and women, I most certainly had to bite my tongue and remind myself that it was their right to do so. Tasteless and evil in my eyes, yes, but still their right.

Today I was thumbing through the news and came across a little article which resonated with me. As innocuous as the situation in this article may seem, I think it sheds light on a much larger and horrifying trend in our society. First and foremost, to the individuals crusading against this woman's wreath: Shame on you. I must have overlooked the portion of the Bill of Rights that states freedom of expression doesn't cover holiday decorations.

Secondly, since when did the peace sign become 1) negative and 2) satanic? I would hope that every citizen of this country would wish for world peace because we are light years from attaining it.

Finally, I am all for patriotism and unity but I am utterly against the homogenization and pervasiveness of so called mainstream American ideals. We are a country of many religions, of many backgrounds and of many ideals. If the manger scene in your neighbors front yard during Christmas offends you, close your blinds. If the homosexual couple down the street is trying to adopt a needy child into their loving home and you don't agree with it, bite your tongue. If your child is off fighting a war overseas and you see people protesting against war, hold your head up high and remember that your child is defending their right to speak their mind. I think many of us are a bit overdue for a dose of tolerance and should lay off the finger pointing and whining.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jimmi said...

Nick, I am right there with you, I have NO idea where this Satan thing came from. Does this come up at Halloween? That seems to be more the "Satanic" holiday more than a peace sign. I'm a little befuddled about this whole thing. Maybe they mean "Santa-Tastic"?

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home